Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Trim-trim-trimeree and a bit of insanity...

Good morning blog friends! I just want to say how thankful I am for all the lovely comments in response to my post the other day. I have to admit I was a bit worried that everyone would just disappear and blogging would become a thing of the past for me. But apparently, there are a lot of wonderful, understanding readers out there that inspire me to keep going! So I'm not going to stress over not posting every few days, and I will just enjoy my hobby and share my love of stamping when I can. I love interacting with my fellow stampers, so if you have questions, or just want to chit chat, feel free to email me using the link in my right sidebar. I answer every email!

On to my card today. This kind of card normally would take me 2 or 3 hours to create, from coloring to assembling the final layout. This time, I worked on it sporadically for three days, probably more like 5 or 6 hours. I don't know why. I can't seem to get into my usual 'groove'. I hem, and haw and try one thing, try something else because I don't like it, etc.


See the background paper? That was a bit of insanity, lol. I got it into my head I HAD to have a diamond background cut file for my Cameo, couldn't find one I liked for sale, so I embarked on making my own. Mind you, I'm not an expert at designing cut files, actually this is the first time I've done one I liked completely from scratch. It.took.me.forever... and a day. 

The second bit of insanity is the fact that I cut the diamonds from four different kinds of paper, so I had a PILE of tiny little diamond cut-outs to poke out. Actually, most of them came out easily, although there were a couple of sticky ones that fought me. THEN I assembled all the different patterned diamonds in the red paper background, kind of like a puzzle. Kind of therapeutic actually.

A lot of work I didn't really intend to do. I envisioned the diamonds would be bigger, resulting in less 'puzzling' LOL! Needless to say I'm working on a redesign of this cut file. If you want this version, email me and I'd be happy to send it to you. I only have a Silhouette Studio version, like I said, I'm a beginner at this sort of thing and have no idea to convert to different file types. 


Anyway, I colored 'Trimming the Tree' with my Copics and some colored pencils. I made the medallion flower using several strips of edge punched patterned paper that I scored every 1/4" and folded up, then flattened. I used a dab of hot glue to hold it all together. There are tons of tutorials on the web how to make them.
I added a tiny tag to the gold bow using one of the stamps from the 'Christmas Sentiment Tags' set. I like that the tags are a really easy shape to cut out with my trusty old scissors. No die needed. A punch might be nice though...
Or a cut file...I wonder if I could manage it? I'll let you know in 6 months, lol, that's how long it might take me to figure it out! 
Any Cameo experts out there care to give it a go? ;-)

Thanks for visiting!

6 comments:

  1. Katrina - oh you have some serious gorgeous creations here!! Love this...
    Caught your comment on my blog and the paper you asked about is First Edition Paper Pack - Christmas Joy. I bought mine at MarkerPop!
    Hugs,
    M
    http://www.markerpop.com/catalog/paper/craft/first-edition-paper-pack-pad-christmas-joy-6x6.html#.UFiX0K74KYY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that background is amazing you have far more patients than me LOL ! the image is coloured beautifully and I love the rosette, hugs Sara xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy to see a card today from you. I absolutely coming and seeing your work. I love how you did the background...girl, you have patience of gold and talent too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card and kudos to you for creating your own cut file! I'm glad you'll still be posting sometimes because I love coming here for inspiration and to see your beautiful coloring. I know how easy it is to get burned out on blogging but just know that your avid readers will still be here, waiting for more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katarina: Dont ever stop making cards. You inspire soooo many people. This card is absolutely beautiful. So what that it took you a couple of days, Rome wasn't built in one day. Your blog pops up everytime I open up Google. I love your cards. You inspire me. Thank you for your wonderful work

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment!