Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Hello Snowman!

Good morning all! How about a cute snowman card today? This one is from Purple Onion Designs, by the super talented Stacy Yacula whose Etsy shop I stalk on a regular basis! She makes the most adorable paper clay characters, you must check them out. Needless to say, I was a happy camper to see her characters in rubber stamp form from POD, much more affordable for me, lol! Ok, enough gushing...


This was one of those cards that took me forever and a day to make. I had lofty aspirations but by the time I was done with the stamped image panel, I lost interest in the rest of the card, lol. I just plunked down the whole thing on some digital text paper from Mel Stampz I printed on my computer. 

A little about how I colored the stamped image layer- I used art masking fluid ( my new favorite tool) to mask off the entire snowman after I stamped him in Versafine on water color paper. I just used a small round paintbrush to apply the fluid, then waited a few minutes for it to dry. Once dry I spritzed, stippled, sponged and stamped all over the background using mostly Distress Inks. When the ink was really dry, I removed the masking fluid with a gum eraser and water colored the snowman. I used an old toothbrush and some watered down acrylic paint to flick and spatter the 'snow' all over the layer. It's my favorite technique for a snowy effect I learned a long time ago when I was a decorative painter. The sliver snowflakes are some old stickers I had laying around.

A lot of work for a card! But sometimes I just gotta get inky and play.

Hope you like it, thanks for visiting!

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card LOve the snowman he's adorable and the layout is fabulous. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't just like it, I LOVE it!!! Wow! It doesn't need anything else other than putting it on that paper because you colored it soooooooooo amazing!! Great job Kathy!
    Hugs, Dena

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! This is stunning. I love that snowman and the way you have coloured the background looks amazing

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic snowman and that background works perfectly!
    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Purple Onions, huh? I have to look into that. Gorgeous card and image. Love your coloring skills.
    Hugs, Dangina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I think this is totally awesome!! And I'm going to have to dig out my white acrylic and masking fluid...!

    Stunning card, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely STUNNING card. Seriously a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really cute and I love the background - amazing. Can't remember where my masking fluid is - darn! Anyway you really have gone to a lot of trouble over this beautiful creation - and it is well worth it!

    Big hugs to you Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Stacy's designs and have this same stamp! My favorite from this past holiday season!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment!